Care Center: 763.441.1213
Transitional Care: 763.241.4438
By the Lake: 763.241.7682
Engel Haus: 763.498.4594
Riverview Landing: 763.746.3400
Here is an article from our Wellness Director, Kayla Miller M.S.
The Importance of Drinking Enough Water
Did you know…
• 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.
• Lack of water is the #1 trigger for day-time fatigue.
• According to a study on dieters by the Univ. of Washington, a glass of water shuts down nighttime hunger pangs almost 100% of the time.
• Research shows that 8-10 glasses of water daily can ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.
We all have some idea of the importance water has on our health, after all it does make up 60% of our bodies. With a hot and humid Minnesota summer in full swing, staying hydrated is one way to help our bodies withstand the heat. But aside from keeping away heat stroke and the other medical complications that can arise from dehydration, water has several other important functions that are essential to our health, both short-term and long-term. Read on for four more reasons to drink water.
1. PERK UP. Dehydration not only causes us to feel fatigued and sluggish, but according to Matthew J. Kempton, Ph.D. at King’s College London, it also forces our brains to work harder to complete tasks that would otherwise not be so difficult. Our cells are the basic unit of all of our body’s functions, and they need water to do their jobs properly. Think of it like watering a garden. The plants and flowers may not look parched but skip a day’s watering and before long that vegetation isn’t blooming so beautifully! So go ahead… water your cells!
2. STRENGTHEN YOUR SKELETON. Not always consuming your 3 daily servings of dairy? Well, good news. Drinking mineral water may help up your calcium intake and aid in preventing bone loss. According to research conducted by the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City, mineral water contains an average of 208 mg of calcium per liter. But remember, this doesn’t replace all of the great benefits that come from consuming dairy!
3. DEFEAT WEIGHT CREEP. Ever heard of a dolphin on the rocks? If not, listen up. A study published in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism found that drinking water cooled to 37˚F may lead to a slight increase in calorie expenditure for up to an hour after you drink it. Ok, so maybe measuring the temperature of our glass of water is a little extreme, so just add ice (Get it…dolphin on the rocks). The chilled liquid forces our bodies to work harder and therefore burn more calories for energy, in order to maintain our baseline internal temperature. Another perk, a glass before a meal (chilled or not) can trick our stomach into feeling full, helping cut calories.
4. HELP PROTECT OUR HEART. A study funded by the National Institute of Health that tracked 34,000 people over a 14 year time span found that men who downed 5-6 glasses of water per day were nearly 70% less likely to die from a heart attack. The same correlation was found in women. Bottom line: drink up!
If you would like to become a member of Club GA or would like to tour our Wellness Center-Call Kayla @ 763-241-4434!
Sources: mayoclinic.com; fitness.com
Since 1965, Guardian Angels has provided exceptional health care, housing, and support services for seniors and their families. We have an enviable reputation and look forward to caring for seniors and their families in the years to come!