Valentine’s Day Suggestions for Seniors!Posted February 6, 2018
Guardian Angels reminds you not to forget seniors this Valentine’s Day! This special day is not just for young loves and children. Here are five ways to reach out and do something special for the older folks in your life!
- Bring dinner to an elderly person, especially if they live alone. It doesn’t have to be fancy, it can even be take-out. Eating is a social act and there are many physical and mental benefits to breaking bread together.
- Volunteer at a senior care center or do something to help a shut-in. If you have an extra hour or two per week/month, consider sharing your time with Guardian Angels Care Center, or one of the Assisted Living Communities. If you live near someone who is elderly and can’t get out often, volunteer to run some errands, shovel their walk, or even offer to watch a movie with them.
- Write a hand-written letter to a loved one who lives alone or is in senior care. In this age of technology, it is a treat to receive a real letter in the mail. Many seniors will not only read, but they will re-read and re-read these letters as a source of enjoyment.
- Shop the Guardian Angels Gift Shop for sweet and fun Valentine’s gifts (400 Evans Ave, Elk River). This gift shop, located in the GA Care Center, is run by volunteers and has an assortment of gifts for everyone on your list. Not sure what to get? Try the amazing and award-winning fudge. Proceeds go towards Friends of Guardian Angels Care Center and help to support exceptional health care and services to residents and families.
- Make a donation to Guardian Angels in honor/memory of someone you love. A beautiful way to celebrate someone you love is to make a donation to Guardian Angels “in honor of” or “in memory of” them. Simply visit guardianangelsmn.org and click on the Ways to Give tab. We have special cards that can be sent to acknowledge your gift. All gifts are tax deductible.
These ideas will not only make a senior feel loved and special, they will make you feel loved and special too, by doing something good for someone else.